The Q&A Archives: mustard seed plant

Question: I have looked every where for a mustard seed plant. Can you help me find one.
I would like the seeds for canning.
Thank you

Answer: There are two major types of mustard seed: white (or yellow ) and brown (or Asian ). A third species, the black mustard seed, has been replaced for most purposes by the brown species because the latter can be grown and harvested more economically. White mustard seeds are much larger than the brown variety but a lot less pungent. They're the main ingredient in American-style mustards. White and brown seeds are blended to make English mustard. Brown mustard seeds are used for pickling and as a seasoning, and are the main ingredient in European and Chinese mustards. The name of the seed is Brassica birta. Mustard seeds are sold whole, ground into powder or processed further into prepared mustard. Mustard seeds are available from Richter's Herbs. Here's the web address: