The Q&A Archives: Venus Fly Trap

Question: My best friend gave me a Venus Fly Trap and it's not doing so good. I think it's actually dying. The plant is very dear to me. I know that there are different kinds of Venus Fly Traps out there (a red and green, right?) and I have the green kind. Could you tell me what kinds of things I should do to take care of it? What should the temperature be, how often do you water it, what kind of soil is best for it...basically my questions are "how do you make it grow bigger and healthier" kind of questions. Could you please help?

Answer: Your Venus Fly Trap is Dionaea Muscipula, a carnivorous plant that prefers bright light and lots of moisture and humidity. Place the container on a tray of pebbles and keep water in the tray at all times to help keep the humidity level high around the plant. Venus Fly Traps go into dormancy once a year, so perhaps that's what yours is doing now. The bulb will remain alive even though the leaves fall off the plant. Since the plant is carnivorous, you need to supply a fly once in a while. The trap will close, the fluids in the fly will be digested, and then the trap (leaf) will turn brown and die. Cut off the dead traps and new ones will grow. Here's a website with lots of information about growing Venus Fly Traps: