The Q&A Archives: Lawn weeds

Question: My new lawn wedds is not broadleaf weeds. Kind of dark green leaf spread over soil. Is there any way to attach picture in order to understand the kind of leaf. Do you suggest me to use weeds killer spray over any kind of weeds?

Answer: You should not use a weed killer on your lawn until you can identify the weed. If it is a grassy weed and you apply a grassy weed killer, it will kill your lawn as well as the weeds. Sometimes the best solution is to dig the weeds out, roots and all. You might even dig one out, put it in a plastic bag, and take it to your local cooperative extension office, Master Gardener Clinic, or even a well staffed nursery for identification. Helpful folks there can identify the weed and make suggestions about its control. Sorry we can't accept photos through this forum!