The Q&A Archives: Cats on lawn

Question: How can I keep stray cats from using my lawn as a litter box. I have rubber mulch and a flowered border.

Answer: It's unusual for a cat to use a lawn as a litterbox; they generally prefer soft soil in a flower bed so they can dig and bury their deposits. If the cat visits regularly and you see him, squirt him with a hose or turn on the sprinkler system to chase him away. It's a difficult situation unless you're home and can catch him in the act. If the lawn is small, you might be able to put up a barrier until the cat gets the message and takes his business elsewhere. Try placing two rows of stakes around the perimeter of the lawn and criss-crossing fishing line between the stakes, keep the line 6" above the ground and crossing every 6"-8". Cats are afraid they'll get caught in the line and will generally avoid the area. Hope this helps!