The Q&A Archives: knockout roses

Question: My knockout roses have brownish spots on some of the leaves and it looks like something is eating the petals off the few blooms that are there. I cut off the spotted leaves, what else should i do?

Answer: Knock Out roses are some of the most disease resistant roses available so pruning off the affected foliage was the right thing to do. I don't know what might be feeding on the petals of your plant. Try picking one of the flowers and opening it up. You may find earwigs or some other chewing pest inside. If so, you can trap earwigs by rolling up several pieces of newspaper, moistening it and laying it in the garden near your roses. Earwigs will crawl in overnight to hide and you can pick up the newspaper traps and toss them in the garbage. Repeat as necessary to eliminate all the pests. Best wishes with your roses!