The Q&A Archives: crape myrtles

Question: first,Id like to thank you for your timely and informative answers.they were very helpful.
I have a 2, going on three year old crape myrtle that bloomed the first year but none to little last year.Help!

Answer: I'm happy to hear you like our service and are pleased with the answers! Crape myrtles flower on new growth so pruning in the early spring when it is just starting to leaf out should encourage even more healthy new growth - and hopefully, lots of flowers. In fact, if and when it does flowers, and after the flowers fade, you can prune it back and it will flower a second time later in the summer. As long as your crape myrtle is getting lots of sunshine, adequate water and an annual feeding, it should bloom for you. So, get out those pruners and cut your crape myrtle back now. With any luck it will send out new flowering stems. I hope so!