The Q&A Archives: "Anna Magnolias"

Question: I have heard of, but not seen "Anna Magnolia" bushes. I love the Magnolia trees, but I hear we are really too far North for them to survive the winters in Louisville. Actually I would be more interested in a bush than a large tree.
Are they hardy enough for this region and do they need a lot of care? Sun and soil requirements?

Answer: You're asking at the right place! The March/April '98 issue of National Gardening Magazine features an article on hardy magnolias! 'Ann', a Kosar-De Vos hybrid, has fragrant, pink-purple, 4" bloom; the shrub grows 10-12' tall and is hardy to zone 4! You can read about the care and feeding of hardy magnolias by searching the NGA website library (from the home page Unfortunately, the website doesn't give you the full chart that describes this and many other magnolias. You can request a beautiful, full-color back issue for $3.50 postpaid, if you want the full story, or you may find it at your local library. 'Ann' can be purchased from Carroll Gardens, 444 East Main St., Westminster MD 21157; ph# 800/638-6334. Enjoy!