The Q&A Archives: Blookgood Lace Leaf Maple

Question: I have a new bloodgood lace leaf maple tree I planted. I have been watering it regularly but it now is showing discoloration on the leaves, like they are burned. Can you advise me as to what I need to do. I live near Wenatchee, WA and have it planted on the south side of my home and gets sun. Thank you.

Answer: Bloodgood is one of the few Japanese maples that will grow in full sunshine. However, it takes time for the plant to adjust and for the leaves to tolerate hot summer sunshine. If you only recently planted it, it is possible that the leaves it developed were suitable for a more shady environment at the nursery. As your tree matures and as it develops new leaves in its current sunny spot, the foliage will be more tolerant of the sunshine. Just give your tree a chance to adjust and it will be fine. In the meantime, water deeply once or twice a week to help the roots establish. Best wishes with your new tree.