The Q&A Archives: Ground Cover Seed

Question: We just had a large area to the side of our house graded to smooth it out and make the slope more gentle. It is in full sun and, naturally, completely bare right now. I'd like to know if there is a ground cover for these conditions which could be started from seed, as plants for this large an area would be too expensive.

Answer: If you're looking for a perennial groundcover, try crownvetch. It is commonly used to stabilize grades on roadsides because it spreads quickly. Since it's a legume, it also fixes nitrogen from the air into the soil, enriching it for any future plants you might wish to grow there. It needs watering to get started, but once established, is quite drought tolerant. And it has beautiful pink blooms! You can get seed from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply, PO Box 2209, Grass Valley CA 95945; ph# 888/784-1722 toll-free).

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by cocoajuno and is called "Here's looking at you."