The Q&A Archives: Planting a South African Jasmine

Question: Can this plant take HOT afternoon sun against a white wall? I live in Phoenix, AZ> I just bought it. Other location would be mostly shade, still hot.

Answer: Jasminum angulare (South African Jasmine) is a slow growing evergreen scrambling shrub or vine native to coastal areas from Eastern Cape to Natal, South Africa. Because of this, I would suggest planting it in the mostly shady area. It can take the heat but prefers some humidity (which you can provide by watering the soil and allowing it to naturally evaporate, which will increase humidity immediately around the plant. If given support this vine can grow to 15-20 feet tall by 8 feet wide. It is a bit tender and will perform best in near frost free garden but can handle a few degrees below freezing without damage. Hope this information is helpful.