The Q&A Archives: Corkscrew Willow

Question: In review of previous questions, I see the curly willow grows very tall, however, the spread is not mentioned. My house faces West in Zone 9-10. I had planned on planting the willow on the northwest side yard but this allows only 8 feet from the house to the fence, which appears to be too small for this tree at maturity, correct?. Planting in the front yard is my only other option, is this going to be too hot for this tree?

Answer: Salix 'Tortuosa', the Corkscrew Willow will grow to about 30 feet high with a 20 foot spread. Willows will take any kind of soil, even poor drainage, and still thrive. Willows like full sunshine and lots of water. The roots can be invasive, so keep the tree away from septics, drain fields, and underground wells. Nothing beats the wintertime silhouette of a Corkscrew Willow tree. Just give it lots of room to grow!