The Q&A Archives: Worms in onions III

Question: I have thread-like, less than 1 mm. wide X 4 to 6 inch, worms in my onion patch. Yellow on both ends and greyish/brown in the center. The UofW doesn't know what they are. Can I send a photo to you for ID at what address. Need more characters to truly explain!

Answer: We can't accept photos through this forum but if you can find a photo hosting website (MSN, Flickr, etc.) and post the photos there, then send up the address, we might be able to access the pictures. There's no guarantee we can identify the worms through the pictures, though. Is it possible that the onions were damaged while in the ground (thrips, maggots, soft rot, etc.) and then were invaded by some soil dwelling critters? The soil food web contains hundreds if not thousands of creatures ready to help decompose already decomposing plant material. Wish I could offer more help. Generally each University has a plant pathology clinic or lab. If you can take one of your onions there, researchers can dissect and identify the pest in question.