The Q&A Archives: My Clematis has yellow leaves

Question: My Clematis has been growing fine every year for 15 years. This spring I have notices that the leaves from the middle to bottom are yellow. It gets enough water, the bottom is shaded by a lightpost and the top is in the sunlight. Do you have any idea why?

Answer: If your plant has been performing well until this spring, there may be some stress involved. About the only problem with clematis is that it can develop a disease called clematis wilt in which an entire vine can turn yellow and then die. There's no cure for this and it generally does not affect all of the viney stems - just a few. If the vine eventually dies completely, cut it off at ground level. Healthy new stems should appear from the crown of the plant. Best wishes with your clematis.