The Q&A Archives: Dying evergreens

Question: My two 10 yr old cone-shaped evergreen shrubs are turning brown from the inside out. Can I save them?

Answer: Many evergreens periodically lose some of their older foliage at the center of the plant or from the base of the plant, so what you are seeing may be normal. Or it could indicate an insect problem. Spider mites can cause the symptoms you describe. Spider mites like living in dry, dusty places. You can hose off the interiors of your plants to discourage spider mites and to remove the dead foliage. Before you do, though, check carefully for webbing in and around the stems and foliage. If you find webbing, spidermites are the culprits. Periodically hose the plants down to discourage spider mites from taking up residence. Best wishes with your plants!