The Q&A Archives: timing

Question: I would like to start a veg. garden is it to late? I'm converting an outdoor pond 100 gal into a planter it is in a nicely shaded area. So what veg ect would do well in this kind of qarden

Answer: Rather than too late, I think it is too early to plant! There are two growing seasons in Tucson: Feb - April and September - November or December. You can plant vegetable seeds in September or set out vegetable transplants in October of this year. Most flowering vegetables will need 6-8 hours of direct sunshine each day but there are many that will do with less. For your winter garden, you can plant peas, beans, radishes, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, chard, and green onions. In February you can plant these plus warm season crops such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc.

Good luck with your garden!