The Q&A Archives: spider plants

Question: I love spider plants but no matter what i do within a few months of getting them they die on me.. i've tried more water less water more light less light and am just not doing something right.. will you help me PLEASE!!!!! this is one of my favorite plants so i would really love to get some to live more than a couple months

Answer: Spider plants are really easy to grow so I'm sorry to hear you've been having such trouble with yours! Here are a few growing tips:
Spider plants prefer medium to high light, but no direct afternoon sunlight. The variegated spider plants need more light than the plain green ones.

Spider plants need to dry out between waterings. They have large, fleshy storage roots that store water, so don't overwater them. It can lead to rot.

They are happiest in the same temperatures that make you comfortable. Just don't let the temperature go below 40?F or they will be damaged.

Spider plants find our homes too dry in winter and need to be misted frequently indoors to prevent attacks by spider mites.

They need to be fed during the spring and summer growing season with a liquid or water-soluble fertilizer such as Miracle Gro.

Spider plants need a good peat-based potting soil and should be repotted whenever the fat whiteroots fill the pot and make watering difficult. Sometimes this might even be twice a year.

Put the plant in the bathtub and give it a shower occasionally to refresh it.

If your spider plant gets brown tips, it is showing sensitivity to the chemicals in tap water. They should always be watered with distilled water.

Hope this information helps you grow healthy, happy spider plants!