The Q&A Archives: summer planting

Question: hi! i have neglected planting new veggie seeds in my garden till now, its june 11 and i'm in boynton beach, florida. What vegetables can i plant now to take advantage of the summer heat , or will it get too hot for them. I'm mostly interested in growing stuff that the kids will agree to eat, nothing too exotic

Answer: You've gotten a really late start - or a very early start. Veggies won't grow during the summer months, with the exception of lima beans and okra! You have two growing seasons in Florida. One beginning in September and one beginning in March or April. That's when you can grow all kinds of tasty veggies. Here's an address for a publication that you can dowload for future reference. It give the planting dates of all the commonly grown veggies so you can plan your garden:

Best wishes with your garden!