The Q&A Archives: acricot and nectarenes

Question: My apricot tree is 6 years old and I only get 2 pieces of fruit a year. what's up..I also have a nectarine tree, same problem??help please!!

Answer: Some apricot trees are self-fruitful and others do better with a pollinator. It's difficult to tell whether the variety you have needs a pollinator. Because apricots bloom early in the season, they are subject to late frosts. Not only can the flowers be damaged by cold weather, but insect activity is low during cold spells, leading to lack of pollination. Some apricots require a pronounced winter chill before they'll set fruit. If yours is that variety, you may only get fruit after a cold winter and a warm spring. Try to find out which cultivar you have so you can determine whether it needs a pollinator. Other than that, hope for the right weather conditions so you'll have a bumper crop!