The Q&A Archives: Tomatoes

Question: I have some very healthy tomatoe plants , but the flowers just shrivel & die -- no tomatoes , whats wrong?

Answer: Sometimes flowers will drop prematurely or without setting fruit due to moisture stress (make sure the soil is evenly moist), or due to overfertilization with nitrogen, or due to extreme temperatures -- such as an extended heat spell (days over 90) or extra warm nights (over 80) or even extra cold nights can cause flowers to drop. Tomatoes do not need insects for pollination. Instead, they are shaken by the wind. You can try giving the plant a shake for about half a minute once or twice a day to dislodge the pollen, just in case this particular plant is in a very still location. Different varieties will respond differently to the growing conditions each year. Some years one type will just do better or worse than the others, or maybe a good performer just will not do as well as usual. I hope this helps!