The Q&A Archives: coco grass

Question: I have been working very hard on my lawn and flower beds is there anything that can get rid of a grass called coco grass, it shoots up in the flower beds like crazy.

Answer: Coco grass or nutgrass is really difficult to control. Every time you pull it up, you leave some little pieces of root, which eventually sprout. There are two ways to try to control this pesky weed. Remove as much of the weed as possible and cover the area with several layers of landscape fabric or cardboard. Top with a thick layer of bark or pine straw. Leave in place for at least one growing season.

Or, try painting individual weeds Round Up as they sprout up. Round Up will damage or even kill your desireable plants so use with caution and apply only to the nutgrass leaves.

Good luck with your eradication project!