The Q&A Archives: Hillside planting So. CA

Question: What can I plant on my hilsside to help with soil erosion, don't require alot of water and look great!

Answer: Native plants are probably the best choices in terms of drought resistance and low maintenance. you can mix and match to make a good slope planting.

Arctostaphylos edmundsii (Carmel Sur' manzanita) is a flat evergreen shrub(arches to 3 inches high in middle), with light gray-green leaves.

Artemisia california (California sagebrush) is an evergray shrub, three to four foot high.

Baccharis pil. 'Pigeon Point' grows into a one foot tall by twelve foot wide dark-green groundcover.

Ceanothus griseus horizontialis is an evergreen shrub that commonly grows two or three feet tall and ten feet wide.

Ceanothus thyrsiflorus repens is a prostrate Ceanothus with lots of attractive sky blue flowers.

Salvia sonomensis A creeping flat perennial sage that can spread to 10' across. Its flowers are blue-violet from May to June, appearing in a 6"spike above gray-green leaves that lie on the ground 1" or so high.

Hope these suggestions help.