The Q&A Archives: Lawn

Question: How do I keep my grass from dying in certain sections throughout the lawn?

Answer: Compacted soils can keep water from penetrating the soil and can cause the grass to brown out. Or, you might have both cool season and warm season grasses in your lawn. Cool season grasses will green up first and when the weather gets warm the warm season grasses will come out of dormancy when the cool season grasses begin to go dormant. Aside from overseeding your lawn with warm season grass seeds, there's nothing you can do about the cool season grasses. They will turn brown when the weather gets hot. You can dig out the grass types you don't like and overseed to have a more uniform lawn in both color and blade growth or you can mow it a little higher to hide the browning areas of turf. There's no easy answer!