The Q&A Archives: Why aren't my daffodils blooming?

Question: I've only had daffodil blooms the 1st season planted, 7 years ago. Each year I get plenty of stems, but no blooms. I've even fed them plant food in the fall and spring, but still no flowers.

Answer: Daffodils can stop blooming if they are overcrowded or if you are removing the foliage before it has a chance to ripen and replenish the bulb. If you planted 7 years ago, it may be that you'll need to dig and replant the bulbs, giving each at least 4 inches all around for good growth. Be sure to wait until the foliage has died down on its own before digging and replanting your bulbs. Once they have lots of elbow room and won't have to compete for sunlight, moisture and nutrients, they should bloom well for you. Enjoy!