The Q&A Archives: my rubber tree plant

Question: why does my leaves on my rubber tree keep dying. I used the miracle grow potting soil and water according to the instructions on the phamplet.

Answer: If you've just recently transplanted your rubber tree, it may simply be showing signs of transplant stress. It will recover in time. Keep it out of drafts from air conditioners, open doors or heater vents. Ficus elastica does best in a well-drained soil. Avoid over-watering, but don?t let it dry out either. It is a good idea to observe the plant and its soil to determine when you should water. Symptoms of over-watering and under-watering are similar, such as leaf yellowing and leaves falling off. You should be able to tell which one is the issue if you consider how often you have been watering. Watering once a week is a good place to start, but adjust your schedule depending on how quickly the soil dries out. You should also water slightly less often in the cooler months when the plant slows down its growth. Give your plant a little more time to adjust and it should be fine.