The Q&A Archives: Care of Cat's Whiskers

Question: I purchased a plant that was tagged cat's whiskers. All the tag had on it was the name, hardy to 38 degrees and the name Dewars (which I am guessing is the nursery that grew it). It has 5-6" white blooms (made up of lots of tiny blooms) on the top of each stem (similar to a salvia) with white "cat whiskers" coming out of each tiny bloom It was just too cute to pass up but I am not sure where to plant it. Can you help me identify this plant and its' needs?

Answer: Cat's Whiskers is the common name for Orthosiphon stamineus, a plant that likes full sunshine and copious amounts of water. It has glossy green leaves and long white flowers with long stamens (the whiskers). The plant has a shrubby growth habit and will reach about four feet in height. It's a perennial from zone 7 - 10. Sounds like a delightful addition to a sunny garden bed!