The Q&A Archives: bright green patterns

Question: I have a beautiful lawn/yard, I have noticed that there are irregular trails of bright green grass that is taller than my other grass running through my lawn.when I mow it still shows, it is a beautiful shade of green about 12-18 inches wide and winds through the yard ???

Answer: It sounds to me as though annual bluegrass has invaded your lawn. While called an annual, this grass readily self-sows and can overtake a lawn in a very short period of time. And, unless you bag your clippings, each time you mow you help spread the seeds. The best control strategies begin in early spring with a pre emergence product (such as Halt's or Dimension). Be sure to read the labels and apply according to label directions. Best wishes with your lawn!