The Q&A Archives: Ageratum

Question: I planted an ageratum two days ago, watered it, and gave it some fertilizer especially for transplants. Now it's completely dying on me. What happened, and can I bring it back?

Answer: Hot summer sunshine is probably too much for your new ageratum. Many plants suffer transplant shock when planted and they usually recover when their roots become established - usually less than a week. But the stress of being transplanted coupled with the hot summer sunshine may prove to be too much for your ageratum. You might try shielding the sunshine for the next few days. Just set a cardboard box or large planter near the ageratum so it shades the transplant. Water when the top of the soil starts to dry out. I hope your new plant makes it!