The Q&A Archives: Yellowing tomato leaves

Question: I have a small garden where rotation is all but useless. I have sveral tomato plants that have developed yellowing leaves at the bottoms of the plants. What should i do? I think it may be grey spot

Answer: Yellowing leaves on tomato plants is quite common and can be caused by a variety of things, including transplant shock, over or under-watering and lack of nitrogen. Diseases can also cause the problem. Tomato plants will often shed the lowest, oldest leaves as the plant grows. You can simply pull or clip these leaves off. In general, tomatoes like rich, moist soil that's has plenty of organic matter and drains well. Tomatoes need nitrogen for green healthy leaves. Try fish emulsion for an organic source of nitrogen or use a balanced fertilizer, e.g., 10-10-10. Follow package instructions for application rates. Water well before and after applying. Tomatoes are moisture sensitive and need a regular supply of water to thrive and produce fruit. How often to water depends on your particular soil's characteristics. You want to keep it uniformly moist, but not soaking wet, to a depth of 12-18 inches. I hope this information helps with your tomatoes!