The Q&A Archives: Lawn Care

Question: We had sod planted in our backyard two years ago. It seems there are more bare spots than there are sod. How do you suggest repairing the bare spots? What works best in Georgia's summer weather and soil conditions? Thanks

Answer: Sod should be thick and lush by its second summer so I'm not sure what's up with yours. Check to make sure the sod rooted into the soil (pull up on some of the bare spots to see if you can roll it up). If it rooted but died, I'd inspect for insect or disease problems or for drainage issues. If it did not root, that's why it died. You can dig out the dead areas and resod, or take some pieces of sod from a healthy part of the lawn and plant them in the bare areas. The grass should spread out and cover the bare areas. Or, you can simply rake the dead areas and broadcast bermuda seed or a mixture of bermuda and kentucky bluegrass (whatever mixtures are locally available). I would try, first, to determine just why the sod died so you can correct the problem before resodding or reseeding.