The Q&A Archives: are my trees dying?

Question: We planted in May an OK Redbud tree and a Cleveland Pear tree. The Redbud is now developing on the leaves

Answer: I think both of your new trees are just going through some transplant stress. As soon as the roots establish themselves they should grow and thrive. The yellowing leaves and even dropping leaves is a classic symptom of transplant stress. The red spots are probably a disease. For some reason insects and disease pathogens seem to gravitate towards plants under stress. I would simply give them the rest of the summer to settle into their new homes. Water them deeply once or twice a week (depending upon how well your soil drains) and just be patient with them. When the weather cools they should perk up and you should see a definite change in their appearance. Best wishes with your trees!