The Q&A Archives: Cone flowers

Question: Three days ago my 4 ft. cone flowers were broken in half by a severe thunder storm. They were all full of un-opened blooms, and would have been a VERY lush plant if it had not been damaged by the storm. My question is, what can I do to save the large stalks that were broken away from the plant?

Answer: How disappointing for you! I suggest cutting off the damaged plant parts (to keep insect and disease problems at bay). Coneflowers are rampant growers and should be able to recover. Look for new leaves and stems. I expect they'll even flower later this summer. If not, at least they will be able to expand their root growth and be stronger next year - at which time you should have lots of flowers. Best wishes with your garden!