The Q&A Archives: Blueberry's

Question: I have the kind that come back every year. And I would like to know how to test the soil around them for the amount of acid that they need. Also what level of acid is good for them or best I guess I should say. Thank you for your time, patience and understanding regarding this matter and situation.
Sincerely ;
Becky S. Sparks

Answer: Have your soil tested through your local cooperative extension, private lab, or even with a home test kit available in garden centers and nurseries. It's probably alkaline and you will need to add sphagnum peat moss or elemental sulfur to help lower the pH to the required 4.5 - 5.2. You can further acidify the soil by mulching your plants with pine needles or oak leaves. Your blueberry plants will produce in about three years, and will reach maximum production in 6-8 years. Hope this information helps!