The Q&A Archives: Lawn Seed near pine trees?

Question: Hello-
I had two big pine trees pruned (specifically, 8 feet down all the lateral branches were removed/cut down). All the land around each (~150 square feet) is now exposed and just is dirt/pine cone remnants, etc... What should I do with this land? Grass seed wont do anything as it'd too acidic, correct? Should I plant acid loving plants and flowers? Please help as this is my first lawn :-)

Answer: If you bring in some topsoil you can plant turfgrass. If that's not an option, you can use acid-loving ground covers, shrubs and perennials to landscape the area. Some groundcovers to consider: Heather 3' tall with evergreen foliage. or Creeping Wintergreen (Gaultheria) or Pachysandra all make nice groundcovers.

Azalea, rhododendron, daphne, blueberry, enkianthus, juniper, leucothoe, pieris, summersweet and barberry are good shrubs for acidic soils.

Hope these suggestions help.