The Q&A Archives: Coleus Help with Nitrogen

Question: I have a versa green halo coleus and I water it every other day and give it 3 hours of sun. I think it has too much nitrogen. What should I do? It has begun to wilt. Thanks

Answer: Actually, I think you are overwatering your coleus. When soil is kept too moist it drives out the oxygen. Plant roots need moisture, but they also need oxygen. So, instead of watering every other day, water deeply and then wait 3-4 days to check the soil moisture content before watering again. Just stick your finger down into the soil. If it is still moist an inch below the soil surface, you won't have to water for a few days. If it is dry, it's time to water. It's important to apply enough water when you do water to percolate down about 8 inches. This will encourage deep root growth and the plants won't be so dependent on frequent watering. Their roots will grow healthy and strong and the plant will be able to tolerate occasional droughty conditions. Try adjusting your watering and I think you will see a big improvement in your coleus. Best wishes with your garden!