The Q&A Archives: Shrubs/Grasses for in-ground pool area

Question: We live in CT and have an in-ground salt water pool. Can you recommend a few shrubs and ornamental grasses for around the pool area. There is room for a small tree and two larger shrubs for the sides of the steps that lead onto the deck. I would also like a bit of color out there but do not want anything that will blow into the pool. Thank you.

Answer: There are so many choice, I barely know where to begin!
Caryopteris ? Blue Mist Shrub, Cephalotaxus ? Japanese Plum Yew, Cotinus ? Smokebush, Daphne, Deutzia, Enkianthus - Redbells, Hibiscus ? Rose of Sharon, Pieris ? Andromeda, Pinus mugo, Spirea ? Bridalwreath, Syringa - Lilac, or Viburnum ? Juddii, Doublefile, Leatherleaf. Small trees include Cornus florida/kousa ? Dogwood, crabapple or stewartia. Hope some of these suggestions will be just right for your garden.