The Q&A Archives: Black Spot on Rose Bushes

Question: We have some type of black spots on our rose bushes that are turning the leaves yellow. How do I get rid of this?

Answer: Black spot is one of the most common diseases of roses. Fungicides will help control it, but you'll need to practice good garden sanitation (prune and remove the most obviously infected canes), and try to keep water off the leaves (hard to do in the Louisiana!). Fungicides need to be applied every 7-14 days during the growing season. Some choices include Funginex, Daconil, Captan, Bravo, or the neem oil based Rose Defense. You'll find others in the garden section of your local Home Depot. I'm afraid black spot is just one of the challenges you'll face when growing roses, but the reward is worth the effort. I don't think there's anything quite as lovely as a garden filled with roses! Best wishes with your roses.