The Q&A Archives: Spider mites

Question: My tomato plants and eggplant has been plagued with I think spider mites all summer. The leaves turn brown and there looks like rust under them and their is a spidery web on the plant. I had a leftover tomato plant that I first noticed this on and now it is on everything. I have sprayed with malathon/oil volck mixture and soapy water. Looks better for a few days and then I see the spidery webs

Answer: Sounds as though you have tried all the recommended treatments and there's really nothing else that we can suggest you do to control the pests. Spider mites can overwinter in mulch so be sure to clean up the garden at the end of the season - and be sure to plant your tomatoes in a different garden spot next yedar. Even with all these precautions, spider mites can just show up in your garden without invitation. I wish there were something else we can suggest, but it sounds as though your garden won't be as bountiful as you had hoped.