The Q&A Archives: Thread-like Worms/Nematodes

Question: I recently noticed some thread like worms in my vegetable garden. At first it was only two that I removed by hand and destroyed. I found another and took it to a local USDA inspector who gave me a tentative identification of Aphelenchoides, a foliar nematode. Is this possible? I've always been under the impression that nematodes were small (less than 1 mm long), these were all at least 2.5 to 3 inches long, less than 1 mm wide, white with a brown stripe(probably their intestines). Do you have any suggestions as to the identity of these critters, other resources I could use to identify them or how I go about getting rid of them? I read the FAQ's and couldn't find anything that sounded like these. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Answer: I couldn't find any description of a pest like this. However, the insect may not be a pest at all! (I checked an insect ID field guide, but also didn't find anything there.) Here are a few leads for you, if you want to pursue this mystery!

Check out the following web sites:

Please let me know what you find out! Our whole office is curious!