The Q&A Archives: Grass clippings in garden

Question: Hi, Several folks have told me that I should put grass clippings in my garden around the plants and throughout to help with weeds and to add nutrients to the garden bed (eg nitrogen). Is this true? Thanks

Answer: Grass clippings can be used as a mulch material but I would suggest spreading them out and letting them dry a little before using them as a mulch around your plants.
Fresh grass clippings tend to clump as they dry and can effectively stop water from percolating through and down into the soil. Aside from this one caution, a grass clipping mulch will suppress weeds, slow water evaporation and help moderate soil temperatures in addition to providing nutrients to the soil as they decompose. Best wishes with your garden!