The Q&A Archives: Holes in Cabbage Leaves

Question: What do I do about holes on my cabbage leaves?

Answer: It all depends on what's causing the holes! Imported Cabbage Worms, Cabbage Loopers, Slugs and Flea Beetles are common pests of cabbage family crops. The first two are green or striped caterpillars that blend well with the color of the foliage. They make large, irregularly shaped holes. Their "frass" (droppings) are dark green - almost black. The adults are moths that lay tiny eggs on leaves. Flea Beetles chew tiny shotholes in leaves. These beetles are so named because they're about the size of a flea and jump like fleas when disturbed. Slugs work at night or in the cool parts of the day. The irregular holes they make are "signed" with trails of shiny slime.

Let us know which of these pests you have bugging your cabbage, and we can provide a solution! Look forward to hearing from you!