The Q&A Archives: butterfly bush distress

Question: I just planted a butterfly bush that I purchased from a local nursery. I bought and planted it on 6/13/09. Today I noticed that the leaves are wilted and some are turning yellow. I have watered it twice since planting it for about 15 minutes with a sprinkler. What could be wrong?

Answer: Landscape trees and shrubs can go through some transplant stress when newly planted, especially when planted in the heat of summer. As soon as the roots establish themselves your butterfly bush will perk up. Until then, water deeply once or twice a week and wait for new growth. When you see new growth emerging you can safely cut away any dead or dying stems and leaves to help renew your plant. It will just take a week or two for the plant to recover so be patient with it. Be careful not to overwater or you'll drown the roots. Once or twice a week is all that's necessary. Good luck with your garden!