The Q&A Archives: Climbing Roses

Question: I planted two climbing Don Juan's this Spring. They are reasonably healthy and have produced numerous flowers, but thay don't seem to want to add any height (since I bought climbers I obviously need them to climb). I fertlize them regularly with Peter's 20-20-20. They get about 8 hours of direct sun a day. Does it take awhile for the climbing character to manifest itself? Or is it something else?

Answer: It sometimes takes a full year for plants to become established in their new homes and perform as expected. Your climbing roses will climb, as soon as they've gotten over the shock of transplanting. New growth will indicate the roots have recovered and are becoming established. Just exercise a little more patience. In the meantime, enjoy those lovely blooms!