The Q&A Archives: Controlling Mushroom Growth

Question: I am a new home-owner and have a front yard facing due north. The problem is the moisture content. I have these very large mushrooms all over the yard. Is there anything I can do to eliminate them? Any fertilizers or nutrients? I would like to begin to condition my property for gardening and landscaping projects. I look forward to your response. Suzanne Friedland West Caldwell, NJ

Answer: Mushrooms like wet soils and shade plus organic matter to grow on. You can increase the drainage in that area by adding compost to the soil, provide more light by pruning any shading branches and eliminate any woody pieces that might be buried under the soil. Other than that, you'll still get mushrooms each year until they die off naturally.