The Q&A Archives: Geraniums Wilt In Outside Winds

Question: I bought geraniums to plant outside, but within an hour they look wilted & bend over. I brought them in and placed them by the window where they have grown and thrived! Thinking now they're stronger and established to withstand the heat and wind, I tried outside again, to no avail. I placed them on the east side of the house initially. The wind here in the mountains gets pretty strong.

Answer: It sounds like your geraniums want to be house pets! Seriously, I think they are reacting to the sudden change in environment including temperature, light intensity, wind, etc. Try acclimating them slowly by moving them to a very protected location for a few days and then to the spot on the east side of the home. Water well, but don't allow the soil to stay soggy. They may wilt for a while but should perk up soon as they adjust. Good luck with your flowers!