The Q&A Archives: Silver Leaf Maple

Question: My neighbor has a Silver leaf maple tree whose tree roots are popping up all over my back yard. It has these horrible grapefruit sized balls that burst thru my yard and sprout trees. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? I don't want to hurt their tree, but I have about 200 trees popping up in my backyard.

Answer: Anything you apply to the suckers will work its way back to the tree so you'll want to take a non chemical approach. You can cut the maple roots off at the property line - which could compromise the health of the tree - so you'll want to do some selective pruning rather than cut everything off at the property line. Aside from severing the roots, there's really no way to keep the suckers from erupting in your yard. Wish I had more suggestions!