The Q&A Archives: Cypress Vine vs. Cardinal Climber

Question: Burpees is currently selling what is advertised on the packet to be Cypress Vine in their Heirloom collection. I have planted them, and what is coming up appears to be Cardinal Climber. Doesn't Cypress Vine have very fine palm-like leaves, moreso than Cardinal Climber? I believe the latin name for what I am looking for is Ipomoea quamoclit, a member of the sweet potato family.

Answer: Cypress Vine and Cardinal Climber are both common names for Ipomoea quamoclit. The plant twines to 20 feet and the leaves are 2 1/2 - 4 inches, finely divided into slender threads. The flowers are tubes 1 1/2 inch long, flaring at the mouth into a five-pointed star. The seeds you purchased are Ipomoea quamoclit, known in some regions as Cypress Vine and in other regions as Cardinal Climber. Hope this clears up the confusion!