The Q&A Archives: Japanese Beetles

Question: I am having difficulty with Japanese Beetles eating the leaves of my greens beans. I use Sevin to control these pests on my shrubs and trees, but am unsure of the safety of this product. What would you recommend using on vegetables to eliminate/control Japanese Beetles?

Answer: According to the Sevin label, the product can be used on vegetables to control Japanese Beetles, but you should wait a prescribed amount of time before harvesting. Here are the days to wait for some commonly grown vegetables: 1 day - asparagus, carrots, eggplant, pepper and tomato. 3 days - beans, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, kohlrabi, lettuce, peas, pumpkin and squash. 7 days - beets, horseradish, potato, radish and turnip. 14 days - Chinese cabbage, kale, parsley, and spinach. You can hand-pick the adult beetles and grubs. Capture of the adults is easier if you place some sheeting under the affected plants and gently shake the plants. The beetles should fall onto the sheeting. If you work quickly, you can trap them and remove them from the garden. You can also try planting a trap crop of borage or zinnias near your beans. The beetles will prefer these plants to your green beans. To help eliminate an infestation next year, be sure to cultivate the soil in the fall and again in the spring to expose the grubs to hungry birds, and to the elements of sunshine and frost.