The Q&A Archives: Over heating

Question: We are new to vegetable gardening and recently moved to Corpus Christi Texas. We planted a few seeds for cucumber, watermelon, pumkin, zuchcinne, tomatoes and some varities of peppers. They started growing well then as it became hotter they seem to be wilting. We should we water, and should we shade them some. Thank you

Answer: I'm afraid you started your garden a few months too late and your little plants are having big issues with the heat. April is the time to sow veggie seeds in your region. You can try shading the plants from the hot afternoon sun to give them a little respite. Shade cloth is available in rolls or pre cut sheets. You can drive a few stakes into the ground and attach the shade cloth to the stakes, positioned so that the plants get a few hours of morning sun but shade from late morning through late afternoon. Vegetables can get by with about an inch of water per week. I'd water deeply twice a week, allowing the top of the soil a chance to dry out slightly between waterings. You want the roots of your plants to go deep so they won't be so prone to wilting. I hope you have a great harvest. Remember to get those seeds in the ground by the middle of April next time!