The Q&A Archives: Possible Causes of Yellow Circles in Grass

Question: We have a strange, yellow circle in our centipede grass. I've fertilized, added organic material, but nothing seems to help. The grass inside the ring (which is about 12 feet in diameter) is lush, and so is the surrounding lawn. Any ideas on what this is and what to do about it? Theodore Worozbyt

Answer: Your lawn could have a number of fungal diseases of just fairy ring mushrooms. Without seeing the ring I can only guess as to what disease it would be. Perhaps it's dollar spot? General controls include decreasing nitrogen fertilizer, not watering in the evening, amending the soil with compost to provide better drainge and biological activity and providing enough sun and air circulation to dry out wet grass. Contact your local County Extension Agent for more information in your area about lawngrass diseases.