The Q&A Archives: Little Gem Magnolia Tree

Question: My Little Gem Magnolia Tree is dropping lots of leaves; any suggestions as to what I should do? I was thinking of having a tree expert come out to take a look at it.

Answer: Although considered an evergreen, magnolias do drop their oldest leaves and produce healthy new leaves. So, yellowing, dropping leaves might be normal for your tree at this time of year. Or it could be dropping leaves if it is drought stressed, especially if both the new and the old leaves are dropping. If both new and old leaves are yellowing, it indicates a nutrition problem and iron will help green it up. Use chelated iron in amounts as recommended on the package. Some fertilizers contain iron chelates, and you can use one of these products instead of straight iron. If you don't think it is a water stress problem or lack of nutrients, by all means have a certified arborist inspect the tree. Hope it recovers soon!